Princeton ROTC Revision To Cause No Changes Here

Has 'Gone too Far'

Sentiment in the University indicated yesterday that Princeton "had gone too far" in the extensive reorganization of the Army ROTC program announced last week.

Starting next fall at Princeton all but three half-courses taken by ROTC students will be given by regular academic departments of the university. Students will be required to substitute more liberal courses for those they now take in military science.

The reorganization is the result of a study begun at Princeton at the close of World War II. The first stage of the evolution was introduced in 1952 with a special course in military history.

The thinking behind the Princeton plan resembles the theory behind some Army ROTC changes at Harvard, but so far there is no indication that a comparable plan will result.

Originally, the University had attempted to secure approval of a plan which would reduce the college ROTC program to three years and increase the summer camp period from six to 12 weeks. The majority of tactical instruction would, according to the proposal, occur during the summer camp.

With a Pentagon veto of the plan, however, the University settled for a compromise solution two years ago. In an effort to "liberalize" military science instruction, students now take two half-course, outside the field.

One of these, History 138a, is a history of civil-military relations in Western society and is required of sophomore students in Army ROTC. The other course, Government 159, is concerned with national security policy and is required of seniors.

In addition, students in the program take six half courses in Military Science and Tactics, which combine with the two courses outside the field, to complete ROTC course requirements. All of the courses count toward the 16 1/2 necessary for graduation.