Who Will Get the Degrees This Year? Crimson Again Opens Naming Contest

It's guesting time again in Cambridge. Each year, just about now, knowing dopesters begin speculating on who will make up that Esteemed Assemblage of Big Names at Harvard's Commencement June 13. Simply put, Who will receive honorary degrees this year?

Now, the CRIMSON has always had its 12 to 15 choices ready and waiting, but the University rarely has taken our suggestions. Last year, to further both democracy and accuracy, we opened the guessing game to all members of the University, with certain exceptions. The results were so gratifying that we now announce our Second Annual Name-The-Honoraries-Contest.

This year we can offer at least one sure bet. It has been authoratively learned that former Massachusetts Governor and presently Assistant Secretary of State Christian A. Herter '15 will receive an honorary degree. Since we suggested him last year ourselves, we feel some-what pleased about it.

Similarly, since we announced two years ago that former President Harry S. Truman seemed a likely contender, and since we were wrong then, we are speculating that our advice will be taken this year at last. It's just a hunch, but he will be delivering the commencement address at nearby Brandeis that week, so it's not out of the question.

And then there's the Class of '32's most outstanding member, Barry Wood. Since we have never predicted him before, he is an even better possibility. And add to that the fact that his class will be celebrating its 25th Reunion and that he is Vice-Chancellor of Johns Hopkins University, and former all-American quarterback, and an outstanding (summa and Phi Bete) undergraduate in Bio-Chemical Sciences, and it all adds up to a shoo-in.

Well, those are a few of our suggestions for now, and we'll have more to add as the contest gets rolling. The contest is open to all members of the University, and other readers of this paper, except for members of the Corporation, their wives and relatives. It will also unfortunately be closed to those holding Corporation appointments, as well as to editors of the CRIMSON.

First prize will be $15. Second prize will be a much maligned Yearbook. In case of a tie, each will win $15, the Year-book--since we have only one copy--will be cut in half.

Participants should submit the names of 15 selections, on a sheet of plain paper, to the CRIMSON office before June 4.