Legal Center to Adopt Defense Studies Unit

Link to Center of International Legal Studies Seen as Effort to Impose Tighter Control

By John A. Chamberlain

The Defense Studies Program, long a source of political controversy in the University, will definitely be included within the orbit of the proposed Center of International Legal Studies Program, it was learned last night.

Although the move will naturally result in closer administrative rein over the Program and its Defense Policy Seminar, an increase in this control has been seen as an important by-product of the incorporation into the new Center.

At present, the Program and its Seminar are largely autonomous, with only nominal supervision by a Faculty committee, composed of members of various departments in the area of social sciences. The committee is connected loosely with the Graduate School of Public Administration, under whose jurisdiction the Program technically falls.

The question of closer control over the Program was raised recently with reports that the Program had overspent its three-year budget and was facing financial difficulties. With an estimated budget of $260,000 for a three-year period, it is reported that the Program will have only $65,000 remaining for next year, the last of the period.

Funds Short

Officials in the Program admit that funds are "a little short." Prices have simply gone up," one research fellow commented.

One alleged reason for the expenditure of more money than anticipated is that the University has charged the Program rent for use of the bottom floor of the Geographical Institute in "an ex post facto manner."

The Seminar has also used more guest lecturers than its directors originally planned, and expenses for procuring these speakers have been higher.