Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

DEFENSE STUDIES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

An article in Monday's Harvard CRIMSON on the Defense Studies Program calls for several corrective statements:

There is no project to "impose tighter control" on the Defense Studies Program and its Seminar.

There is no project to place the Program, which is now an integral part of the Graduate School of Public Administration, under the Center of International Legal Studies at the Law School. At some future time a closer integration of studies in foreign policy and in defense policy may indeed be undertaken. If so, however, the reasons will be substantive and not administrative, and control will be in the Graduate School of Public Administration and in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The budgetary practices of the Defense Studies Program conform to usual University practice and to the terms of the Ford Foundation Grant under which the Program operates. Moreover, the figures given in your article are incorrect.

Your readers may be interested in the following excerpt from the minutes of the April meeting of the University's active Committee on the Defense Studies Program:

"The Committee was in vigorous and unanimous agreement that the Program has been remarkably effective,...is a very desirable University activity for the long-run future, and that every effort should be made to secure resources for carrying it forward on a permanent basis." Paul M. Herzog,   Acting Dean,   Graduate School of Public Administration.

The CRIMSON regrets the failure to distinguish between the existing Center of International Legal Studies at the Law School and the contemplated Center for International Relations at Harvard.--Ed.