University Gives Several Awards And Scholarships

The University has announced the award of ten additional prizes and scholarships.

The Ames Awards will be presented on Class Day to Tatsuo Arima '57, and Peter K. Gunness '57. The awards, silver cups, are named for Richard Glover Ames '34 and Henry Russell Ames '38, who drowned in 1935 off Newfoundland while attempting to rescue their father during a transatlantic sailing race. The awards are given to two seniors "who have shown energy in helping themselves and who exhibit as well the sterling character and inspiring leadership that were the qualities of Richard and Henry Ames." Arima is from Adams House and Tokyo, and Gunness is from Winthrop House and Fargo, N.D.

Charles Steedman '57, of Winthrop House and Providence has won the De-Lancey K. Jay Prize for his senior honors thesis in History--Lord Northcliffe: A Journalist in Politics, 1914-1918." The prize is the income from the fund.

Glen W. Bowersock '57 of Eliot House and Wellsley Hills has won the Louis Curtis Prize of $100 for excellence in Latin.

Deirdre Hubbard '57, of Moors Hall and New York City has won the George B. Sohier Prize of $250 for a thesis entitled "The Problem of Time in Antony and Cleopatra."

Peter N. Stearns '57, of Eliot House and Urbana, I11., has been awarded the Philip Washburne Prize for his History honors thesis--"God and Liberty: The Ideas and Activities of the Avenier Movement." The prize is the income from the fund.

Vernon G. Lippitt (Ph.D. March, 1956) has won the David A. Wells Prize of $500 for his thesis entitled, "Determinants of Consumer Demand for House Furnishings and Equipment.

L. Brayton Polka '58, of Lowell House and Portland, Ore., has been awarded the $50 History and Literature Prize as the junior in the field showing the greatest promise.

Axel Hoffer '57, of Adams House and Providence has been awarded the John A. Walz Jr. Prize of $25 for the best General Examination in German Literature.