Hospital Endows Chair In Memory of Wolbach

$500,000 GIFT TO MEDICAL SCHOOL

Harvard has established the S. Burt Wolbach Professorship of Pathology in the Faculty of Medicine with a gift of $500,000 from the Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston.

William W. Wolbach, president of the Children's Hospital Center, and Robert H. Ebert, Dean of the Medical School, made the announcement yesterday.

The chair was endowed in memory of Wolbach, who was professor of Pathological Anatomy at the Medical School from 1922 to 1947 and professor emeritus from 1947 to his death in 1954. The funds for the chair were raised by the medical center as part of a $15,060,000 fund drive.

Wolbach received his M.D. from Harvard in 1903 and became an assistant in Pathology in 1905. He remained at Harvard except for two years (1908-1910) which he spent as adjunct professor of Pathology at the Albany Medical College and in Montreal as a member of the teaching staff at McGill University and as pathologist at the Montreal General Hospital.

In 1922, he was appointed Professor of Pathological Anatomy at Harvard. He served as Pathologist-in-Chief at the Children's Hospital beginning in 1915 and later became director of the Division of Nutritional Research.

Wolbach presented the first accurate description of the etiological agent of Rocky Mountain spotted fever in 1919 and described its clinical symptoms and pathology. He received the Order of the Commander. Polonia Restituta, from Poland for his studies on typhus as a member of the Commission to Poland from the Red Cross.