Greenough's Fast Quintet Wins Crown

By Claude E. Welch jr.

An aggressive, fast-moving Greenough quintet last night captured the freshman intramural basketball crown, overcoming Holworthy, 32 to 26.

Greenough grabbed an initial 8 to 0 lead in the first four minutes, and despite a late drive in the fourth period by Holworthy, held on to triumph. Big Dick Dannay and Bob Messenbaugh sparked Greenough with rebounding and scoring punch.

In the frantic final period, marked by wild, football-like scrambles for loose balls, the lead changed hands five times. Bill Rogers, high scorer for Holworthy with six points, led his team's rally.

With only 1:35 left in the contest, Greenough froze the play in the center zone, and converted three foul shots to take the lead, 30 to 26. Gerry Jordan and Tony Pantaleoni made their shots to saw up the game for Greenough. Pantaleoni dunked a game-ending layup to finish the scoring for the night.

Nervousness Hampers

Holworthy was hampered by nervousness during the first half. Lee Nash broke the scoring ice with a set shot at the four minute mark of the first period, only Holworthy score in the entire quarter.

With the help of a semi-full-court press, Holworthy climbed back into competition from an 11 to 2 deficit at the end of the first period. Four quick set shots closed the gap to 11 to 10, and the score at the half read 15 to 10.

Mike Kuehl's long set with five seconds left in the third period put Holworthy in the lead for the first time, 21 to 20. Dannay put Greenough back in front, 22 to 21, and the lead see-sawed for the rest of the period.

Agile Charlie Repsher made a foul shot to give Greenough a 27 to 26 advantage, and the team controlled play for the rest of the contest. Despite rough-house tactics and last-ditch attempts by Holworthy, Greenough kept on the attack for the victory.

Proctors Impressive

Holworthy proctors Dan Steiner 3L and Roger Bulger 2M, former captain of the Crimson varsity, steadied the Holworthy attack. Steiner was especially impressive under the boards, and Bulger directed back-court action effectively during the futile rally.

Prior to the contest, Greenough sported a record of seven wins, two losses. One of the losses came by forfeit, the other at the hands of Matthews North. Holworthy swept through all eight games by wide margins, with the exception of a close contest with Grays.

By means of the victory, Greenough is assured of at least second place in the final basketball standings. This position is worth 90 points in the competition for the Straus trophy for freshman intramural athletics.

For the second half of the season, the two leagues will be redivided by the Freshman Athletic Council into stronger and weaker halves.