Board Rates

While college residents do not have to eat the delicacies from the central kitchens they always have to pay for them. Dean's list students on past vacations, however, were given the opportunity to sign off board for up to one week if they planned to extend their absences. Team members participating in away athletic events can also avoid paying for food while they are away. Students who take short trips to complete research in other cities should receive an equivalent option.

At present, the senior who journeys to the Library of Congress for a week of thesis study must pay about $15 for food he cannot possibly consume. As it stands, the present system does save a negligible amount of bookkeeping and, perhaps in administration eyes, acts as a deterrent to keep students in Cambridge.

If, however, a student who received his tutor's permission were allowed to sign off board, neither difficulty would arise. No slew of rate adjustments would bom-bard the bursar's office, for the privilege would be restricted to those on scholastic missions. But the College and its officers should be aware that by remitting the board charges they may encourage needy students to do valuable research on theses, work which might otherwise be neglected.