Squash Team In Easy Win At Williams

What had promised to be the varsity squash team's biggest hurdle so far this season, proved nothing more than its sixth straight win, as the varsity trounced Williams, 8 to 1, at Williamstown, yesterday.

Only Williams' standout Ollie Stafford at number one deprived the varsity of its fifth shutout of the year, as he downed Larry Sears, 3 to 2 in five close sets, 15-12, 12-15, 13-15, 15-9, and 15-8.

The varsity won all the other matches, although Peter Lund at number five, and Wally Stimpson at number nine were each pressed to five games.

Barnaby Pleased

Only Ed Wadsworth, at number six, had an easy time of it, winning 3 to 0 from John Beckforth. Each of the other matches went to the fourth set, as Charlie Hamm, at number two, Gerry Emmett at number three, and seventh and eight men, Fred Vinton and John Davis all scored 3 to 1 wins.

Coach Jack Barnaby said he was pleased with the outcome, for he had feared a close match. Williams had earlier beaten Army, one of the strongest teams in the East. But despite the fact that the team had eaten nothing from seven in the morning until the time of the match, and had made the long rough trip to play on the alien courts, it maintained its undefeated string.

Freshmen Win

At the same time, the freshmen downed the Williams freshmen, 7 to 2, with both losses five-game defeats. Tony Lake at number one, won 3 to 1, while Pete Smith at number three, Ranny Hobbes at number four, and Tosi Hirai at number nine all scored 3 to 0 wins.