Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Meteorology Professor Brooks, Ex-Weather Station Head, Dies

Charles F. Brooks '11, professor of Meteorology, emeritus, and former head of the Harvard Blue Hill weather research station, died suddenly yesterday.

Brooks was known internationally as a weather and climate expert. He served on the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics, the World Meteorological Organization, and the National Defense Research Committee.

The meteorologist became a familiar figure in the Boston area through his weekly television program, "Why the Weather," and was known throughout the United States as the author of several books on climatology.

Brooks gained nation-wide prominence when he founded the American Meteorological Society, which he served as secretary for 35 years. He also edited the Society's bulletin for 16 years. He was a past president of the Association of American Geographers, as well as a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Taught at Yale and Clark

Originally from St. Paul, Minn., Brooks received his A.B. from Harvard in 1911, and his Ph.D. in 1914. Before returning to Harvard as an instructor, Brooks taught at Yale and Clark Universities. In 1931, he was appointed director of the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory in Milton, Mass., where he served until 1957.

Funeral services will be held at Friend's Center, Longfellow Park, in Cambridge at 3 p.m. on Sun., Jan. 12.