Polish Scholar To Make Visit In the Spring

Ford Foundation Resources Sponsor Cultural Exchange

A Polish scholar will visit the University in the spring, according to Wiktor Weintraub, associate professor of Slavic Languages and Literature.

Final arrangements for the visit have not been made, Weintraub said, but added that if the scholar comes, he will probably give several lectures in the College.

Sponsored by the Ford Foundation, which has a special fund set aside for the giving of scholarships and grants to Polish students and professors for study in the United States, this visit represents one part of the cultural exchange program between the two countries.

In addition to the scholar's visit, several Polish students will study at the University this year. Also Weintraub has received an invitation from Cracow University to give "a few lectures" and will probably visit Poland sometime next May.

The Rockefeller Foundation, Weintraub said, has a similar program for the exchange of Polish and American scholars, but generally gives aid only to those in the field of science and scientific research.

Weintraub, who recently returned from a trip to Poland, said that despite tight censorship of newspapers, the people "are generally free and very independent-minded."