Debate on NSA Continues

By Richard E. Ashcraft

Discussion on Harvard's membership in the National Student Association raged for more than two hours at the Student Council's open agenda meeting held last night.

Speaking in favor of the N.S.A., Paul E. Sigmund, Jr. 5G, former vice-President of the International Student Association, listed four areas in which the organization's efforts are beneficial to Harvard. He cited the area of academic freedom, the bringing of students from behind the Iron Curtain to U.S. campuses, work done for integration and racial equality, and the area of student government relations with the University.

The NSA, Sigmund said, won't care too much whether or not Harvard is a member. The attitude at other colleges, he said, will be "Well, let them go."

Speaking to the Council's criticisms of the NSA, he stated, "If you want to make reforms, you do it within the organization, and not by pulling out."

Another supporter of NSA, Derek T. Winans '60, asserted that the question of Harvard's withdrawal from the organization "was rushed through the first meeting of the Student Council." He argued the matter was "dumped by Council members" without due consideration or debate.

Much of the discussion at the meeting centered on the issue of dissatisfaction on the part of other member colleges with the NSA. Irving J. Stolberg, International Campus Administrator for NSA, stated that "I think Harvard has more prestige and a bigger name than most universities," but he added, "I don't think that a number of schools will follow Harvard's withdrawal."

Marc E. Leland '59, President of the Student Council, said the referendum on the issue of Harvard's membership in the NSA would be held sometime "before a week from last Monday."