IVY LEAGUE ISOLATIONISM

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I regret that, in an otherwise fine job of reporting the Student Council Forum on NSA, your reporter attributed to me a statement which I did not make.

I did not say that NSA "would not care too much" if Harvard left. I only remarked that, if Harvard wished certain reforms in procedures at National Congresses, it was not likely that disaffiliation would frighten the 379 other member schools in the National Student Association into effecting these reforms. I added that all those familiar with the mutually beneficial relationship between Harvard and the NSA were certainly concerned at the move to disaffiliate. They view this as an abdication of the responsibility for leadership in national and international student affairs which Harvard has always stood for.

Harvard's voice has been heard in the only forum representing American students to the nation and the world. It is unfortunate that the Student Council has now chosen to withdraw into Ivy League isolationism. Paul E. Sigmund Jr.   Teaching Fellow in Government   International Vice-President, USNSA, 1954-55