Blood Campaign Begins Monday

The semi-annual Phillips Brooks House blood drive will begin Monday with a goal of 1500 pints, Read E. Albright '60 and Leon Rothenberg '60, co-chairmen of the PBH Drives Committee, announced yesterday.

Every student in the College will be contacted by an entry solicitor and asked to pledge a pint of blood for donation from Dec. 8 to 12. There is a similar plan for Radcliffe. Solicitations will last through Friday.

Under the same program, PBH will contact graduate students on the Cambridge side of the Charles through the mail and conduct drives among faculty and employees.

The drive is conducted by PBH in conjunction with the Cambridge Chapter of the American National Red Cross. Because of PBH's participation in their blood program, the Cambridge Red Cross supplies free blood in time of need to any student enrolled in divisions of the University located in Cambridge or to members of his family.

If 150 pints are collected from faculty and employees, all faculty, employees, and members of their families will be able to have blood from the Red Cross pool if it is needed. Otherwise, only those faculty and employees who contribute to the campaign will be able to receive free blood.

It is possible for students to obtain blood free, regardless of whether or not they are donors because of the large student response to previous drives, said Miss Lee Grace, Director of the Cambridge Red Cross Blood Center. "There is an adequate pool for the community, thanks to the contributions of Harvard and Radcliffe students," she stated.