Yardling Defense Insures Victory Over B.C., 18-6

The Freshman football team, sparked by Grady Watts, the diminutive quarter-back, rolled to an 18-6 victory over Boston College, a 2-1 favorite over the Crimson before the game.

After kicking off to B.C., the frosh forced the home team to punt with sterling defensive play and then marched to a touchdown the first time they had the ball, eating up 60 yards in only four plays. Halfback Roy Williams went the final 30 yards for the score.

The lone B.C. tally came in the second quarter, when the B.C. quarterback connected on a 23-yard touchdown pass.

After a 50 yard march to the B.C. goal line, halfback Steve Burke broke the tie in the third quarter with a line plunge through the massive Boston line to put the Crimson in the lead, 12 to 6. With the Yardling pass defense tightened, B.C. kept the ball on the ground but were unable to retain possession. Crimson half-back John Shipman then slipped around end for a 15 yard touchdown run.

The Yardlings fought their way to the Boston ten in the fourth quarter but were unable to score again in the face of desperate Boston defense. Just before the end of the game B.C. pushed to the Crimson five with a flurry of pass plays, but a goal line stand by the tenacious Yardlings kept them from scoring again.