Radcliffe News Reports Difficulty In Drive for More Subscriptions

Council to Take Action

By Martha E. Miller

The Radcliffe Student Council's all-out drive to boost sales of the Radcliffe News has fallen far short of its proposed goal of 150 more subscriptions, needed to finance future issues.

Elizabeth Hurwitz '59, business manager of the News, said last night that only 25 subscriptions have been sold since the Student Council representatives offered to solicit sales in their dormitories two weeks ago.

The concerted drive will end on Tuesday, when reports of the sales progress will be made to the Student Council. On the basis of these reports, the Council will decide whether the News can continue publication.

Nancy L. Proger '59, president of the Student Government Association, said that the Council would probably not have time this week to make a final decision on the fate of the News, since its next meeting will be the annual social meeting with Mildred P. Sherman, Dean of Public Relations.

Subscriptions Needed

Last week's issue of the Radcliffe News predicted that a failure to sell subscriptions to one-half of the college would result in the cessation of publication. "If the News fails to get the requisite number of subscriptions, it must necessarily disappear, leaving Radcliffe with no organ to express student opinion," the lead article stated.