Eliot House Drama Group to Star Untried Actors in Weekly Readings

Eliot House members with little or no acting experience will be given first preference in assigning roles for weekly dramatic readings of the House Drama Group, John D. Hancock '61 said yesterday.

This casting procedure is an effort "to broaden the base" of Eliot House dramatics and train actors for the group's regular productions according to Hancock. The readings, to be held in the Junior Common Room, are the main feature of a three-part program of activities outlined this week by the recently reorganized Drama Group.

Levin to Direct

Several members of the Faculty have assured their cooperation with the readings and Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English, has agreed to direct several of these presentations. Arthur S. Waldstein '59 was appointed to organize the reading program.

As the second phase of its activities the group will present in February a program of three one-act farces, each using a different cast and director. The plays will be Maitre Pierre Pathelin by an anonymous 15th century author, Cervantes' Judge of the Divorce Court, and Prevert's The United Family.

The three farces will be given "in the round" with a minimum of lighting and technical devices, Hancock stated.