Menshikov Closes Visit With Goodnatured Talk

Inspects Student Suites in Houses

By Richard E. Ashcraft

Mikhail A. Menshikov, the Ambassador of the Soviet Union, yesterday expressed interest in the living accommodations which will be offered the four Russian students who plan to study here for a year.

In the course of his tour of the University, Menshikov visited several rooms in Lowell House. He found them "very-nice" and conveniently quiet for studying. When it was explained that the rooms were "typical" of rooms in the University both in size and financial cost and were similar to those which the Russian students will occupy, he appeared quite pleased.

Among 20 U.S.S.R. Students

The four students from the Soviet Union who are expected to study at the University this year are members of a group of 20 students visiting various American universities under the terms of the cultural exchange program negotiated with Russia last year.

Although the students were scheduled to arrive this fall, "only half of them had even applied for U.S. visas by the end of September," according to Richard E. Pipes, Director of the Russian Research Center. They probably wil not arrive until sometime late in December or early in January, he said.

All students, Pipes explained, will study on the graduate level, two in natural sciences and two in American or English literature.