Varsity Soccer to Oppose Winless Wesleyan Today

By James W. B. benkard

In contrast to the tough games of last week, the varsity soccer team will have a breathing space in today's game against underdog Wesleyan. The Connecticut team has lost six games.

The varsity will have to beat the Cardinals without the services of its star left fullback, Lanny Keyes. Keyes came down with knee trouble after the Dartmouth game and will not even make the trip. His status for the important game against Penn on Saturday is still unknown. Captain Floyd Moloy has recovered from his sprained ankle and will see limited action at right fullback today.

Wesleyan has lost to two Ivy League teams, Brown and Yale, the latter by a score of 6 to 0. The Cardinal team is relatively new, with only two holdovers from last year--co-captains Jim Steen and Dick Cadigan. Both offensive and defensive troubles have plagued the team, and as one Wesleyan person put it, "We just seem to have an affinity for losing."

However, if the Crimson continues to play the brand of soccer it has recently, an upset could be in the making. In its last two games against M.I.T. and Dartmouth, the Crimson has been outplayed by definitely inferior teams and won both of these games by the slimmest of margins.

Only an amazing save by goalie Tom Bagnoli in the last five seconds of the Dartmouth game enabled the varsity to maintain its present first place standing in the Ivy League. Crimson coach Bruce Munro commented after practice yesterday, "We might be able to get away with this kind of play against Wesleyan, but we certainly won't be able to against Pennsylvania."

One of Munro's biggest headaches has been his defense, where a combination of injuries and a lack of depth has weakened it considerably.