"...I AM RATHER DISTURBED..."

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As a member of the present Student Council I am rather disturbed by the rapidly degenerating Council relations with the student body and its ability to handle expeditously, sincerely, and democratically regular Council business. As any member or visitor knows, Council meetings are unnecessarily long and chaotic, marked by frequent points of order or personal privilege and long, irrelevant discussion of picayune points that tend to completely dominate sincere discussion of the broader issues.

It is unfortunate that the Council is largely composed of members who lose sight of their constituency as soon as they are elected, and whose main object is to use Council membership to push personal political endeavors. Decisions are altogether too often made on a personal basis or by aligning with a political bloc.

A petition is now being circulated which calls for a referendum on the Council's existence, and in light of recent Council actions it will receive widespread support. However, the proposed substitute medium of student representation would be an Inter-House Council with adequate Union Committee membership--almost exactly what was accomplished by the recent action of passing the Student Council constitutional changes.

Eventually, the student body will be called upon to choose between an Inter-House Council or the revised Student Council. It is not too soon to start weighing the relative merits of each. D. Dwight Dogherty, Jr.,   Student Council Representative   Class of 1959.