University Will Study Co-op House Purchase

Due to the success which has greeted the College's first venture into the field of cooperative student housing, the Administration will make a study next spring of the possibility of acquiring another dorm like the Harvard Cooperative House.

After evaluating the progress of Dudley's 30 "resident commuters" at 3 Sacramento Street, the Administration will decide whether to convert another home. Dean Leighton pointed out that such a structure could be ready for use next fall if a suitable residence can be found.

Welsh Predicts Support

Alexander Welsh, Senior Tutor of Dudley House, thought that plans for another cooperative house "would get support from the Administration if enough students expressed interest."

Welsh believed that the current experiment was "working very well" and "gave Dudley men a chance to 'live in' without changing their House affiliation." He also pointed out the advantages of social companionship and "house spirit" which come from having students live together rather than at home or off campus.

Resident Reports Satisfaction

James J. Kitses '59, a resident of the Sacramento St. house, expressed the opinion yesterday that the residents are "well satisfied." He added that, "Economically the house affords an average yearly saving of about $400. Socially there are advantages in living with people of mutual and different tastes."

Other students in the dorm pointed out that they enjoyed better food and more privacy than the Houses afforded.

Residents have complained of the House's inability to draw distinguished scholars and other outstanding personalities. To counter this complaint, a series of dinners is being planned to which such people will be invited. A House council has been set up to deal with problems as they arise, and to suggest possible solutions to their resident tutor and the Dudley House staff.

Kitses mentioned that another improvement took place when, "accompanied by the flow of liquid refreshment, the cellar was cleaned out and partitioned off into study and television sections."