N.Y. Newspapers Gain Respite From Strike

By The ASSOCIATED Press

NEW YORK, Nov. 1--The possibility of a strike faded early today as the American Newspaper Guild reached tentative contract agreements with three of the city's seven major dailies and agreed to "stop the clock" in talks with another.

The Guild announced it had reached tentative agreement with the management of the New York Mirror and the Journal-American. It said the agreement was similar to one reached earlier in the evening with the World-Telegram and Sun.

In the meantime, Guild representatives meeting with the Daily News announced that they had agreed to ignore the midnight deadline--so talks could continue without a work stoppage.

Talks with the other three dailies--the Times, the Herald Tribune and the Post--were recessed until today or Monday.

Ali seven of the dailies made a new money package offer, and the Guild cut its own money demand. The moves narrowed but did not close the financial gap.

Playboy Action

WASHINGTON, Oct. 31--The Post Office Department today deferred a decision on whether its current tilt with Playboy magazine will be taken to the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, the November issue of Playboy presumably was going forward to mail subscribers.

Herbert B. Warburton, post office general counsel, issued an opinion last Wednesday that this issue contained unmailable material. He ordered the postmaster at Chicago, where the magazine is published, to hold up further mailings pending a hearing.

The publishers Thursday obtained a temporary injunction from U.S. District Court here prohibiting the Post Office Department from interfering with distribution prior to a hearing on the mailability issue.