Taylor, Gilmore Suggest More Tutorial in Houses

Inadequate Office Space

More tutorials should meet in the Houses, a Master and a Department chairman agreed yesterday, but each official suggested that the other is responsible for taking action.

"Every House has the physical facilities to tutor more students than it now does," said Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, "but we cannot get more tutors unless the various departments assign them to us."

Myron P. Gilmore, Chairman of the History Department, agreed that "holding tutorial meetings in the Houses is a sound principle," and added that "we would be glad to cooperate." However, "any adjustment is up to the Masters," he stated.

"You can't expect tutors to use House facilities for their tutorial meetings unless they are associated with the House," Robert G. McCloskey, Chairman of the Government Department pointed out. Feeling that "an integration of tutorial and House activities is a good idea," he advocated "extending the privileges of the Senior Common Room to an increased number of tutors on a non-resident basis."

Certain Houses have made recent addition to their tutorial staffs, observed Gilmore, and "most sophomore concentrators in History, for instance, now have a group tutorial in their own House."

John H. Finley '25, Master of Eliot House, suggested that the Houses should provide adequate offices for their present non-resident tutors, rather than increasing their number. "When the Leverett towers are built and the present Houses have a little more room, we ought to convert some present student suites into offices for our non-resident staff," he explained.

Quincy House will include eight such offices in its commons building "We feel that providing these convenient offices for our nonresident tutors will encourage them to spend more time at Quincy," said John M. Bullitt '43, Master of Quincy House. "The more House-centered our tutorial program is, the better," he added.