Library May Initiate Bursar's Card Check During Exam Period

Undergraduates may be posted at Lamont during exam periods to check students' bursar's cards in an attempt to stop non-Harvard students from using the library.

The proposal, drafted last night by the Freshman Union Committee, "may be feasible," according to William B. Ernst '39, assistant librarian for Undergraduate Services. The Union Committee will present the plan to the Student Council for its consideration.

Action was spurred by complaints that Harvard students are unable to find room in the library while many seats are occupied by men not connected with the University.

Members of the Union Committee made a rough survey of people using the first level of the library and found that approximately 20 to 30 per cent of the students were from outside the University.

Library Works on Problem

Ernst commented that members of the library staff have been working on the same problem and judging from their findings "an estimate of 20 per cent is high."

However, the librarians tour Lamont to see if students are using non-Harvard books and make a random check of bursar's cards each day, Ernst noted. "It might be sufficient if men showed their bursar's cards when they take out books," he said.

"Many students leave the library if they find that their favorite desk is already in use," Ernst noted. "I doubt that all 1100 seats in the library are ever in use."