Charity Drive Reaches $5,074 in Contributions

By Daniel A. Pollack

Combined Charities has reached a two day total of $5,074.22. Co-chairman David Hurwitt '60, commented that he was "pleased with the number and the amount of contributions from people contacted, but not enough students have been reached. For this reason we are slightly behind schedule."

Eliot remains the leader in aggregate donations with a Tuesday return of $392.22 for a total of $813.72. This figure was raised from a total of 207 people contacted.

However, Hurwitt pointed out that this does not accurately reflect the average gift, as many of those seen have deferred giving until later in the week. He said that the average gift has been well above five dollars.

According to co-chairman Peter J. Solomon '60, "A great many people have been tabbing their gifts for specific charities. Among those chosen, PBH is probably in the lead."

The response in the Yard has not been encouraging. Approximately 24 per cent of the class of 1962 has been contacted, while 30 per cent of the upperclassmen have already been visited by the charities representative.

Partial returns from last night's canvassing showed that today's probable total for the Combined Charities Drive would reach $1800. Co-chairman David Hurwitt '60 called it "a poor showing." The Drive, he said, is "falling behind" in its predicted day to day totals.