NROTC Lets Students Seek M.A. Degree

Students entered in the Navy's contract ROTC program now may postpone their active naval duty in order to seek a Master's degree in a scientific or mathematical field. The new plan, announced yesterday by Captain Richard T. Spofford, professor of Naval Science, will first affect the Class of 1958.

The new procedure allows contract students to receive their commissions on graduating from college. They will, upon request, remain inactive while completing work toward their Master's degree. Spofford credits the change to the "Navy's need for more men in technological fields."

While the number of officers available for duty in the next few years is expected to be somewhat smaller as a result of the change in policy, the shortage should soon even out. "We can do without some officers now to get better officers eventually," Spofford said.

No Ph.D. Degree

Students may work more than one year for their M.A. or M.S., but they will not be allowed to seek a Ph.D. at the time. This period of graduate study will not affect the length of active service required, but will be considered in determining the officer's future duty assignments.

The terms of the student's contract will continue to govern all phases of his active service.

The Air Force ROTC recently announced a similar program for allowing graduate work prior to active duty. However, the Army has made no commitments for continued deferment for study.