New Gen Ed, Soc Rel Courses Proposed to CEP for Approval

Riesman to Treat 'American Culture'

Both the Department of Social Relations and the Committee of General Education each plan to offer three new courses for the coming academic year, the CRIMSON learned yesterday.

David Riesman '31 will teach a half course, Social Sciences 136, "Character and Culture in America," during his first year as professor of Social Sciences. Other upper level courses planned by the Committee on General Education, are Humanities 136, "Poetry and Experience," to be taught by Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, and Humanities 137, "The Classics in the Renaissance," which will be given by Hanna H. Gray, instructor in General Education.

Although no lower level General Education courses were officially proposed, the Committee is considering a new Natural Sciences course which may be offered next year.

Two of the three courses which the Social Relations Department is introducing will be taught by Philip Gulliver, an expert on Africa, who is visiting for one year. Social Relations 110, "Peoples and Cultures of East Africa," and Soc. Sci. 117, "Political Systems in Primitive Societies" will be treated largely in terms of his first hand experiences in Africa.

The third new course is Soc. Rel. 159, 'Psychology of Man as a Mammal." It is to be a comparative study of men and mammals with respect to such features as caring for the young, communicating, and forming social groups.