Nine Tops Columbia; Track Team Routs Tigers

Varsity Trackmen Coast to Win In Weekend Meet With Princeton

By William C. Sigal

Despite the absence of many key men, enough newcomers broke into the winning column for the varsity track team to enable the Crimson to coast to an easy 86 1/3 to 53 2/3 win over Princeton at Princeton Saturday.

In all, four members of the team won their first races, as the varsity won or tied 13 of the 16 events.

Possibly the biggest surprises of the afternoon were the showings of Dunc Johnson in the hammer; Hank Abbott in the shot; and two-miller Dyke Benjamin.

Johnson, filling the huge void caused by the absence of both Jim Doty and John DuMoulin, excelled his best-ever toss by 15 feet to win the event at 157 feet. Abbott made up for the loss of Doty by winning the shotput at a shade under 46 feet.

Making his first start since the indoor Army meet, in which he injured his calf muscles, Benjamin romped to a win in the two mile. While his time of 9:53 is far from his best, the fact that he could run at all was quite an achievement. Jim Schlaeppi took third for the varsity.

The other two newcomers had given indication earlier that they were ready to begin winning. Bill Thompson, in the mile, outlasted captain Pete Reider to win by five yards in 4:25. Al Gordon won the 440 with a time of 49.8, a good performance considering the wind and the condition of the track.

Joel Landau, competing in only two events, was the only double winner of the meet, winning the high hurdles and the 220. The Crimson just missed a sweep of the latter, when Sandy Dodge who had earlier won the 100, missed third by a step. Lee Barnes, third in the 100, finished second in the 220.

In probably the most exciting race of the afternoon, Art Cahn outduelled Tiger Gene Shahan, pulling away in the stretch to win the 880 in 1:57.1. Dave Brahms took third for the varsity.

Skip Pescosolido won the javelin for the second time in two tries this season, while the rejuvenated high jumpers took 8 1/3 of a possible nine points, as John DeKiewiet and Bob Downs tied for first and Hal Keohane figured in a three-way tie for third.

Pat Liles just beat Downs for first in the broad jump, as the varsity took first and second. Sam Halaby and Dick Williams tied Princeton's Bob Manning for first in the pole vault at 12 feet.

In the varsity's only losing efforts, Princeton's Bob Fisher won the discus, but Neil Muncaster and deKiewiet placed second and third for the varsity; Princeton took first and second in the Landauless low hurdles, with Dave Rosenthal's third preventing the Tiger sweep.