Heavyweight Varsity Places Third As Yale Wins Sprints at Princeton

By Michael Churchill

Yale proved that its heavyweight varsity is as good as has been claimed when it won the EARC sprints at Princeton Saturday in record breaking time. The Crimson, a close second most of the race, finished third in the 2000 meter race after stroke Bob Lawrence was thrown from the boat eight strokes from the finish line.

The varsity was three-quarters of a length behind the Elis and had over a length lead on Pennsylvania and Syracuse when Lawrence caught a reverse feather crab which knocked him out of the shell. Jim McClennen, rowing seven, led the crew for the closing stretch.

Although Yale was in the lead most of the way, the Crimson shell was never far behind. The varsity jumped ahead at the start but the Elis closed the gap in the first quarter of a mile and slowly ground out a lead. With one half mile to go they were ahead a half a length.

Both boats were rowing high, with Yale a stroke under the Crimson's beat of 35. The Crimson kept up with the Elis for the next quarter of a mile as both boats shot along at 36 strokes a minute.

Then the Elis pulled out slightly. Penn and Syracuse were far behind the Crimson. The varsity shortened up on its slides and ran the stroke higher. It appeared to be gaining slightly, although certainly not enough to have caught the powerful Yale varsity. Then came the crab and a close win over Syracuse for third place.

Pennsylvania took the Rowe Cup, awarded on the basis of varsity, J.V. and freshman performances. The Crimson squad tied Yale for second.

In the freshman event the rugged Crimson crew rowed to a seven foot victory over Pennsylvania in the second fastest time of the day. Several times the freshmen seemed ready to pull ahead as they understroked the Red and Blue crew for most of the race. The Penn shell gained slightly on the Crimson boat as both crews drove across the finish line rowing about 38.