Cornell Favored Over Trackmen

By William C. Sigal

From the way that Cornell spreadeagled the field in the indoor Heptagonals a couple of months ago, the Big Red must be favored in tomorrow's triangular meet with the varsity and Penn at Ithaca.

Although the varsity scored a strong win over Princeton last weekend, the plain fact is that Cornell has too much depth, although this meet figures to be closer that the Heptagonals.

In the 100-yard dash, the incomparable Bo Roberson appears a strong bet to outdistance the field, and in the broad jump, Cornell has both Gerry Knapp and John King to back him up. Roberson also runs the 220 low hurdles and the 220, but in both it is risky to choose against the varsity's Joel Landau.

One of the best races of the day should be the mile, where Captain Pete Reider tangles with Cornell's Mike Midler. Last year, Reider beat Midler, but had to break the Harvard record with a 4:11 to do it. Another good race shapes up between the varsity's Al Gordon and Penn's Irv Dardik in the 440, and Art Cahn and Penn's Bruce Katterman in the 880. Cornell's Dave Eckles should rule the field in the two-mile.

As usual, the relay will be a decided tossup, with Penn, who finished second to Yale in the Penn Relays last week, rating an on-paper edge.