City Asks Study Of Cycle Traffic

The Cambridge City Council yesterday unanimously passed a motion asking the Traffic Board to consider prohibiting jay-walking and to suggest means of controlling bicycle traffic in Harvard Square.

The Council also gave its approval, by a 5-4 margin, to the Riverview Redevelopment proposal. The $349,677 project, to be financed by federal and city funds, will provide for the purchase, clearance, and resale for private development, of a two and a half acre area near the corner of Mount Auburn and Sparks Sts.

Councilor Edward J. Sullivan introduced the motion on Square traffic, commenting that he has noticed increased danger to pedestrians from the uncontrolled bicycle traffic, including cyclists who ride on the left side of the street.

City Councilors Alfred E. Vellucci, Mrs. Pearl K. Wise, and Sullivan spoke in opposition to approval of the redevelopment project. Mrs. Wise's proposed amendment to insure that the project would be developed to provide housing for "middle income" families was defeated 7 to 2.