Elliott Announces Summer School Courses, Faculty

The 1959 Summer School will offer 158 half-courses, William Y. Elliott, Director of the Summer School, announced recently.

Elliott stated that the Summer School will maintain last year's level of instruction, which was "uniformly very satisfactory and in many cases of unusual distinction." He added that this summer's faculty would meet "the one basic test for the quality of the Summer School faculty--the combination of distinguished scholarship with teaching ability."

Visiting Faculty

A visiting faculty will, as last year, join the University instructors. M. M. Bober, professor of Economics at Lawrence College, an authority on Marxism, will teach two courses, "Capitalism and Socialism" and "Money and Banking." Hans J. Morgenthau, professor of Political Science at the University of Chicago, will lead an undergraduate course and a seminar.

Two other nationally known authorities on government, Stephen K. Bailey, professor of Government at Princeton, and Earl Latham '30, professor of Government at Amherst, will lecture on American political organization.

A noted expert on the South, James W. Silver, professor of History at the University of Mississippi, will head a course in "The History of the South."

"We are always insistent on maintaining a teaching balance that keeps the Harvard faculty strongly represented," Elliott said. William Alfred, assistant professor of English, who will teach a drama course, and W. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, will be among University faculty members included in the program.