Fair, Monro Praise Idea Of House-Based Reunions

Twenty-fifth Reunion classes will someday return to live entirely in the Houses, Gordon M. Fair, Master of Dunster House, predicted yesterday. He praised a proposal made to that effect last Wednesday by Elliott Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House.

This year Dunster will sponsor a dinner for its returning alumni, if enough former Funsters show interest, Fair said. "This is the beginning of further developments which will place members in the Houses for 25th Reunions," he noted. Lowell House is also planning a dinner for the spring.

Fair felt that House-oriented Reunions indicated the increasing influence the upperclass dwellings exerted on College life. "The Houses are playing a more and more important role in the academic and social organization of the University," he said.

Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland House, also thought that Reunions centered in the Houses were "a likely development," but he said they would be "slow in coming." Technical problems would stand in the way of lodging returning alumni in their former Houses, he asserted.

Scarce Facilities

"The administration now is able to place families only by taking advantage of all housing facilities. If it tries to put Kirkland men only in Kirkland, for instance, it will waste already scarce space," Taylor continued. He added that seniors, Glee Club members, and ushers who remain for Commencement would also have to be accommodated.

It has been the practice to put all families with children under 10 in the Yard, where better baby-sitting facilities are available. A satisfactory substitute for this plan would have to be found, Taylor said.

House-centered Reunions would be "a fine thing for reuning classes," Dean Monro commented. "The Houses would be a good place to spend the Reunion, since the House means so much to the returning alumnus." He thought that there was "considerable attachment to the Houses," and that "a lot of people would want to go back."