Local Political Jargon: A Guide

The twists and turns of Cambridge politics have brought an entire series of terms with meanings unique to the community. This glossary of political jargon is intended as a guide to the various landmarks of the Cambridge political scene.

CCA: Cambridge Civic Association, a citizen's organization founded 14 years ago to foster the reform movement which had taken over the city several years before.

During election campaigns, the CCA endorses a slate of candidates for Council and School Committee, and backs up its endorsement with an efficient ward and precinct organization. At other times it watches the city government and prepares positons on specific issues to back up its election platforms.

City Council: A body of nine men and women elected from the city at large without reference to wards or parties. It serves both as a legislature and as a board of directors. As a legislature, it passes laws and ordinances for the city, and appropriates taxes and other funds to pay for services; as a board of directors, it establishes policy for city administration.

City Manager: The city's chief executive, he is responsible for administration of city services. He prepares the budget, hires and fires, buys and sells, and awards contracts. The Manager supposedly only reflects Council policy, having himself no part in forming or influencing policy decisions. He is appointed by vote of the Council and may be removed at any time.

Mayor: The ceremonial head of the city, he is elected from the City Council by a vote of its members, and presides at its meetings. Except as parliamentarian, however, he possesses no position of leadership, as his vote counts no more than that of any other Councillor, and since he has only a Councillor's responsibility for initiating action. By 18 years' precedent, Cambridge mayors serve only one two-year term.

Plan E: One of five alternate city governments authorized under Massachusetts law, it provides for a Councl and School Committee elected by Proportional Representation and a City Manager appointed by the Council as an administrator.

PR: Proportional Representation, the Cambridge method of voting for Council and School Committee. A single ballot lists the names of all candidates in alphabetical order (there are no primary elections) and without regard to party affiliation or other endorsement. The voter marks his first choice with a 1, second choice with a 2, etc., expressing as many preferences as he wishes. After each election a quota is established representing the smallest number of votes that will be counted to elect the proper number of people to each body. Then each candidate who achieves this quota is declared elected, until all places are filled.

In the count, each ballot represents only one vote; if a ballot cannot help the person markd as first choice--either because he is already elected or because he is obviously defeated--the vote goes to the second choice and so on. Thus, the ballot is transformed from pile to pile until it can help someone.