Varsity Finishes Practices

Onlookers Cheer

The final Crimson football practice of the 1959 season ended last night in a dash down a flare-lined aisle outside Dillon Fieldhouse to the accompaniment of the Harvard Band and the hearty applause of a meager huddle of undergraduate well-wishers.

While the rally and flares were pre-arranged, the team showed an encouraging spontaneous spark in its last appearance on home grounds. Grim determination seemed to characterize both the squad and the coach as they went through their rugged, routine Thursday drills in near-freezing weather.

Special attention was devoted to punting, kickoffs, and pass offense, but the usual polishing of offensive and defensive fundamentals occupied most of the two-hour drill under the lights just east of Harvard Stadium.

Coach John Yovicsin expressed satisfaction with the team's progress during the week. He was unprepared to venture a comment, however, about the squad's psychological readiness for the contest. "We just won't know until the game is a few minutes old," he said.

Hank Keohane, the team captain, said the team was "anxious and waiting to go." He noted that the squad had proved its resiliency after previous defeats this season, and predicted that it would have little difficulty in doing so again.

Tension began to build with the final practice and rally last evening. It will increase at 8:50 this morning when the squad leaves South Station for New Haven.