Tower rooms Will Ease Space Needs in Houses

Limited Deconversion Planned

The College will use the 150 new resident spaces in the Leverett towers to relieve overcrowding in the other House next year, Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, disclosed yesterday.

Plans for deconversion of some suites in all House except Quincy would reduce, from four to three, the number of students now living in a "converted" three-bedroom unit. Since World War II space deficiency has compelled the House to place an excessive amount of students in each suite.

Completion of the Leverett Towers will present the College with 280 more undergraduate rooms. Trottenberg estimated that enrollment will help fill 130 of these space and added that the remaining room will be used to create space for non-resident tutors and reduce the number of students in the older Houses.

Within the next few months, Masters will present Dean Watson with estimates of the amount of deconversion they wish in their separate Houses. The College will then use a system of "informal dickering" to establish a quota of rooms to be deconverted in each House, Trottenberg said.

Although officials expect that deconversion will cause no over-all raise in rent during the coming academic year, students who choose to live in deconverted rooms will face some increase.

John J. Conway, Master of Leverett House, was not convicted that many students would agree to pay as much as $150 more per year "for the sake of having one less roommate."

To avoid the problem of cost, said John E. Finley, Master of Eliot House, Eliot will use adjoining suites to create larger units. A deconverted double, he explained, would join an unconverted triple, thus allowing five students to use four bedrooms and two living rooms.