Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Russian Scholar Karpovich Dies

Michael Karpovich, Curt Hugo Reisinger Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, Emeritus, died Saturday after a long illness. He was 71 years old.

Paying tribute to his colleague yesterday, Horace G. Lunt II '41, associate professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, said that Karpovich had built up the Slavic Department into one of the most important in the country. A majority of the people teaching Russian history in United States universities, Lunt said, at one time were students of Karpovich.

Author, economist, historian, and expert on Russian culture, Karpovich was on the University Faculty until his retirement two years ago. During this time, he served as chairman of the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, and was active in movements to aid fellow anti-Communist Russian exiles.

Karpovich's appointment to the Faculty came after a series of lecture assignments at universities in this country. Previously, he had served in the Imperial Russian government and in the Kerensky provisional regime.