Colby Defeats Hockey Team, 4-2, As Forbes, Graney Score Goals

Capitalizing on a slight Crimson letdown, the Colby hockey team scored two key goals in the second period and went on to win Saturday's game, 4 to 2. Harvard's point came on a blue-line shot by Mike Graney and a 15-foot backhand by wing Stew Forbes.

Adding its third and fourth goals in the final minutes, Colby wrapped up the contest before a crowd of 2200 in the Alfond Arena. The loss was the second of the year for the Crimson and followed a 4-3 triumph over Bowdoin the day before. This Friday the varsity will take on a powerful St. Lawrence quintet in Watson rink.

Forbes' goal, made at 14:02 of the first period, opened the scoring for both teams. Second-line center Crocker Snow brought the puck down the ice, passing off to Forbes on his right. The wing's shot crossed in front of the Colby goalie and hit the lower left corner of the cage. Although the Crimson dominated the rest of the period, there was no more scoring by either team.

But during the next 20 minutes, the Colby Mules took advantage first of a Crimson penalty and later of a loose puck in front of the cage to score the two goals which put them ahead to stay.

A man short themselves at one point in the third period, the Mules were able to lace another marker into the Crimson nets when a Colby penalty-killer deflected one of Harvard's clearing passes to a teammate who drove the puck past Crimson goalie Willy Henderson. In a last-ditch attempt to stay in the game, Harvard began to emphasize offensive play at the cost of defense. But the Colby center was able to jump the Crimson defensemen, and with an assist from a wing, shot the puck into the cage for the Mules' final tally.

Only a few minutes later, however, the Crimson policy paid off as Captain Graney drove his blue-line shot into the lower left corner of the cage at 16:45.

Usual Lineup

The varsity's lineup was virtually the same as has played all season, with Dave Grannis, Bruce Thomas, and Dave Morse on the first line; and Snow, Forbes, Bill Beckett and Jim Dwinnell alternating on the second. Tom Heintzman, Dean Alpine, and Ted Ingalls made up the third unit; and the Crimson defensemen were Graney, Dave Crosby, Bob Anderson, and Greg Downes.

The freshmen were more successful against their Mule counterparts, winning a rather easy 7-1 game marked with a hat trick by wing Mike Tyler. Other Yardling goals were by Dick Blakey, A1 Howell, Ronny Burke, and Tim Taylor.