University Researchers Deny Dangers in Grants

(Editors' Note This is the first of a three-part series studying the effects of increased government and private aid given to research at the University. This article will cover scientific research at Harvard.)

By Claude E. Welch jr.

In an era of sputniks and international competition in almost every conceivable field, research programs have multiplied almost by necessity. But the steady rise in grants from the Federal government has also brought fear of possible Federal control of education.

Government Control Feared

More money "will inevitably lead to a very serious erosion of university control of university activities," the American Civil Liberties Union objected this week. Yet in a survey of scientific grants at Harvard, these fears of possible government domination seem unfounded.

Almost every scientist at the University enjoys some sort of financial support from outside agencies. For example, every professor and instructor in the Department of Chemistry save one receives government money for research, according to Ronald E. Vanelli '41, director of the Chemical Laboratories. This also holds in the Departments of Physics and Biology, where the amount of funds available for research has increased greatly.

Increased Government Participation

As indicative of this increase, the Department of Chemistry budgeted $80,000 for research in 1946-47. Seven years later, this figure jumped to $220.000, and in 1957-58 the total reached $514,000. The government provides 53.5 per cent of this total, foundations and industry another 30.7 per cent. University funds, once almost all the research budget, now account for only 15.8 per cent.

Despite this unprecedented increase in funds, University scientists emphasize they have not lost any "large measure of authority." Harvard does not permit government secrecy to circumscribe any research, and generally does not accept projects initiated by the government, according to Jabez C. Street, chairman of the Department of Physics.

In sum, the fears of lessened academic freedom in the sciences seem unfounded. Government funds have supplemented Harvard funds, and the result has been a greater amount of high quality research without a loss of autonomy.