B.C. Squad Beats Crimson In Hockey Season Opener

A spirited but sloppy Crimson hockey team dropped its opener Saturday night at McHugh Forum before 4,200 as Boston College rolled up two goals in the first period, then kept its lead to win, 4 to 2. Though playing without two first line starters, B.C. still managed to pepper Crimson goalie Willy Henderson with 49 shots, almost twice the number made by the varsity.

After a sluggish beginning for both teams, second line center Stew Forbes gave the Crimson a 1-0 lead when he took a pass from Jim Dwinnell and laced the puck past goalie Jim Logue into the lower right hand corner of the cage at 10:23 of the first period.

The varsity's lead was quickly erased, however, when B.C.'s captain Ed Smith batted in a short pass a minute later. Jack Cusack put the Eagles ahead to stay, breezing past the Crimson defense to score on Henderson at 16:05.

For the remainder of the game, excellent Eagle backchecking and coverage, and the inability of the Crimson forwards to get off their shots when they should, prevented any serious threats by the varsity. Even with B.C. down a man for the last five minutes of the contest, the Crimson power play lacked authority, and the Eagle defensemen had a relatively easy time clearing the puck.

Because of inaccurate and ill-timed passing by the forwards, the Crimson defense had to play an outstanding game to keep the score down. Captain Mike Graney, who scored the other Crimson goal, did an excellent job in the corners, and by blocking several powerful shots with his body eased the burden on Henderson, the best Crimson goaltender in years.