President Urrutia Names Castro As New Prime Minister of Cuba; Worry Rises Over Dulles Illness

By The ASSOCIATED Press

HAVANA, Feb. 13--Fidel Castro, 32-year-old revolutionary chief, was named Prime Minister of Cuba tonight. It was his first move into political office and it came at a time when there was wide speculation that he was on the way to becoming president.

Up to now the bearded, 32-years-old leader has served the provisional government as commander in chief of armed forces. His appointment as Prime Minister to take office Monday followed the mass resignation of the Cuban Cabinet.

Provisional President Manuel Urrutia immediately announced his choice of Castro for the premiership. That job normally means head of government under the president, who is chief of state. Castro replaces Prime Minister Jose Miro Cardona.

Dulles May Have Cancer Recurrence

WASHINGTON, Feb. 13--Mounting concern that Secretary of State John Foster Dulles may have a recurrence of cancer spread through the capital tonight after he underwent an operation for hernia. The operation was termed a success, but announcement of any other findings of the doctors was delayed until Saturday. Neither the White House nor the State Department would say anything pending that announcement.

Should their report show a new attack of cancer it could mean the imminent retirement of Dulles from the No. 1 post in President Eisenhower's Cabinet. Dulles thought of quitting once before, when he underwent an operation for cancer.

Makarios Goes to London

LONDON, Feb. 13--The exiled Cypriot Archbishop Makarios III is coming here next week from Athens to take a top hand in a three-power conference called to endow Cyprus with independence and peace.

There is speculation that the 45-years-old Greek Cypriot leader may become the first president of the projected Cyprus republic.

He was long regarded by the British as one of their chief undercover foes in the years of battling over the eastern Mediterranean island bastion.

A.P. News in Brief

GENEVA, Feb. 13--The Soviet Union raised new objections today to the international staffing of control posts and thereby deepened a basic East-West dispute holding up progress in the nuclear weapons test ban conference. Soviet chief delegate Semyon Tsarapkin and Professor E.K. Federov questioned the integrity of international personnel.

CARACAS, Venezuela, Feb. 13--With tears in his eyes, Romulo Betancourt took the oath as president today with a pledge of economy and democratic rule to repair what he called the havoc of a decade of dictatorship in Venezuela.

WASHINGTON, Feb. 13--President Eisenhower pictured the American public today as beginning to realize that they are in a contest with selfish interests who favor federal spending in their behalf.