Barbershop Quartet Around Square Sings Lament of Increased Prices

Barbershop owners in the Square are quite dubious about the business of raising the price of a haircut 25 cents. The Associated Barbers and Beauticians of Massachusetts will vote in March on the proposal to charge $1.75 to cut the hair of Bostonians--and College students.

As Mike Cogliandro, owner of the Dunster Shop, said, "when they start talking about raising the price, it's a sure thing they will." Business usually lags for a week or two after an increase is effected, Cogliandro said, "but although students threaten to extend the time between haircuts, they never do."

However, Charles Ferranti, co-owner of the Harvard Barber Shop, said that a rise in barber prices differs from price rises of merchandise. "People complain more, and those do-it-yourself kits come on the market right away." He added that students, who compose about 60 per cent of his trade, don't complain as much, "because they come from places where the barbers charge even more."

"We should wait and see what's what," another owner moaned. "Hair tonic, shaving cream, and the rent will go up next." A co-owner of La Flamme Shop said that he had a "clientele of doctors, lawyers, and businessmen for 15 or 25 years. I feel sorry for them; they are friends, not customers." His partner echoed, "He's right!"

Only one member of this barbershop quartet around the Square was not fazed by the talk of increased prices for tonsorial care. In fact, he was quite pleased by it all. Larry Cirella, of the Hotel Commander Barber Shop, is not affected by any Barbers Association edict because he runs a one-man business. His price to students and professors will stay the same. "I'll probably profit from the increase," added Cirella. "I am for the boys. My shop is like a home to them."