Dudley Members Criticize Lehman

The Dudley House Committee objected last night to a plan that would convert Lehman Hall into the new commuters' center. An Administration official proposed the Lehman location last week as a substitute for the previously planned $1 million structure behind the Fly Club.

After an informal canvass of Dudley opinion, the Committee recommended that Delmar Leighton '19, Master of Dudley House, oppose the Lehman Hall site when the Administration considers the matter.

Richard E. Barringer '59, former Committee chairman, cited Lehman's limited capacity for residential students and its distance from the Houses as reasons for the adverse reaction. The new building, if constructed on the already purchased land on the corner of Plympton and Mt. Auburn Sts., would form a "quadrangle" with Quincy House.

The all-new commuters' center is included in the Program for Harvard College. Dudley members expressed hope that the project would attract a donor willing to give a large sum toward the center's construction. Otherwise, the Administration would have to appropriate the needed $1 million.