Europe and Mr. Dulles

Although massive radiation may help preserve Mr. Dulles, it would not be so salutary for either Germany or Europe. President Eisenhower's confidence in the recuperative power of his Secretary of State is touching, and perhaps only the President has showed more ability springing back from serious illness. Members of the Administration have proved amply their power to recover.

But the urgency of the diplomatic situation this season precludes the safety of allowing Dulles to make a leisurely recovery while he holds the office of Secretary of State. It is clear, even from events of this week, that the Berlin crisis has worsened. Harold Macmillan was jolted when Khrushchev turned down a Western proposal for a foreign ministers conference; and a U.S. senator, Thomas J. Dodd, said that the Administration should prepare the citizenry to face prospects of war.

Ringing the tocsin at this point is unhealthy, but it must be realized that if both East and West hold to their present claims there will be conflict. Since even the panic and patchwork diplomacy of Secretary Dulles is virtually unavailable, it is imperative that effective leadership be installed in the State Department.

The senators who have spoken out on Berlin cannot continue to substitute for a foreign minister. A vigorous Secretary of of State is needed to coordinate policy and rally a confused and discouraged Western alliance.