Repairs Begin On Burnt-Out Varsity Club

Repairs due to the September fire and general renovation of the Varsity Club began last week and will be completed by June 20, Richard P. Hallowell II '20, President, said yesterday.

In addition to rebuilding the interior of the building at 9 Prescott St., contractors will modernize and slightly alter the club. Plans call for a new dining room one-third larger than the former one and a modern office in the right-hand room on the ground floor.

The Coaches' Room, so named because certain bachelor football mentors resided there, will become a small, paneled lounge and trophy room on the second floor.

Hallowell said that the Department of Buildings and Grounds has contracted the Tait Brothers construction firm of Belmont for the four-month project. The cost to repair damages, estimated at $20,000 at the time of the blaze, will be covered by insurance, but the money for modernization will come from club funds.

Band Room to Be Renovated

The Harvard Band, occupant of the basement of the building, will not finance any of the building fees, although its headquarters will also be improved. Hallowell said, "The Varsity Club has recognized the Band's great contribution to University athletics," and so also does not charge the Band rent for use of the building.

Since Sept. 28, when members were forced to salvage their instruments during the blaze, the Band has maintained temporary headquarters at 52 Dunster St. It is currently raising funds to buy furnishings and to replace lost music.