Sextet to Play Strong Yale Squad In Game Tonight at Boston Arena

By John R. Adler

A whole season of frustration can usually be forgotten in one blissful evening of defeating a Yale team in most any sport. Tonight at the Boston arena a frustrated varsity sextet will meet its match in the Eli's Chosen Six, and a victory for the home forces would be most satisfying.

Yale teams usually play over their heads against the Crimson, especially in hockey. Last year's powerhouse team, for example, was held to only six goals at the Arena by a combination of goalie Gerry Jones' acrobatics and close defensive play.

This year the Yalies are riding the crest of successes over Princeton, R.P.I., and B.U., and since the opening of their new rink have been playing hockey as well or better than the varsity. They will be firmly convinced of their ability to topple the varsity and annex second place in the Ivy League for themselves.

Comparative scores would seem to back their contention. Yale split with Princeton, winning 3 to 2 after bowing by a 3-1 score; the Crimson tied the Tigers, 5 to 5. In the last Dartmouth game Yale lost by a 5-4 count, the varsity by 4 to 3. The Elis upset B.U. by a 5-2 margin, while Harvard was held to a 5-5 tie.

Convinced of its chances to win, Yale will play a more open game than last year, taking chances and forechecking, rather than laying back and trying to keep down the score. With a first line of three excellent hockey players, its scoring punch has increased substantially, even within the last two months.

High scorer and center Ed McGonagle has progressed nicely over the season, and captain Tom Goodale has always been a scoring threat and a fierce competitor. Sophomore John Schley, who led the freshmen last year, rounds out the first trio.

Jumping to an early lead, the freshman hockey team scored a decisive 13-1 victory over the B.U. freshmen yesterday, for its 17th win in 19 games. Leading the attack were Tony Nicholas with three goals and Al Alpine and Bill Beckett with two goals each.

Gerry Jones is easily the best goalie in the Ivy League. Against R.P.I. last week he turned away 49 shots to pace the Eli's 9-5 victory. Bruce Smith and Ted Ward, veterans from last year's team, form a competent defense pair.

In order to retain a chance of winning, the Crimson must pull out of its lethargy. The first li enof Bud Higginbottom, Dick Fischer and Dave Vietze, the defense pair of Dick McLaughlin and Mike Graney and goalie Harry Pratt are not heavy favorites tonight