Swimmers Meet Columbia Today

By Thomas M. Pepper

Despite two critical holes in its line-up, the varsity swimming team should defeat Columbia with no real difficulty when the two square off this afternoon in New York. By doctors' orders, both John Hammond and Bruce Hunter will not make the trip; Hammond still has sinus trouble and Hunter has come down with a bad cold.

Of special note also, is an engraved scroll to be presented to retiring varsity coach Hal Ulen by Columbia University. Citing "the generations of Columbia swimmers who have been privileged to compete against your well-coached teams," the scroll is signed by Grayson Kirk, President of the University, the athletic director, two Lion swimming coaches, and the Chairman of the Alumni Swimming Committee.

Without Hammond, Bill Schellstede will solo the butterfly for the Crimson against Columbia's best swimmer, Joe Goldenberg, a 2:29 man for the 200-yard distance. In the sprints, the varsity's Bill Rose and Dave Ottaway will face close competition from Ron Previ, who swims the 50 in 24 seconds and the 100 in 54 seconds.

The 200-yard backstroke also should be close. Columbia's Frank Ranhoffer, a 2:23 man, faces the Crimson's Gary Pildner and Bill Murray.

In the dive, the Crimson has the talent to win, but not ideal conditions. The strange board and one meter distance may somewhat hamper Chick Montgomery and Ric Johnson. Despite the unfamiliar pool and the lack of two key men, Crimson depth should prove enough to overcome the Lions.