Varsity to Face Penn Today in Ivy Fencing

The Crimson fencing team will try for its first Ivy League win against three losses when it meets an equally unsuccessful Penn squad today at Philadelphia. The varsity is a slight favorite to defeat the Quakers, but it will need top performances in foil and epee to counterbalance Penn's sabre strength.

Bill Trebilcock, Dave Johnson, and Phil Charat will meet an inexperienced Penn foil team, and a solid Crimson victory here seems probable. In epee, Antony Enders, Bruce Parker, Dave Schwartz, and alternate Jim Roberts should triumph, but not without difficulty. They will have to face David Micahnik, who took two of his three bouts against them last year.

Quaker Joe Carriere will lead a tough sabre squad against Manuel Cabral, Mike Woolf, and Jon Piel. An overwhelming margin in this division could give Penn the points it needs to win the meet.

Ever since the disputed 18-9 Penn victory two years ago in Philadelphia, meets between the two teams have taken place in an air of thinly veiled hostility. When the varsity lost in 1957, most observers blamed the loss on partisan Penn officials.