White Abandons HYRC Campaign, Charges Slander

Dennis L. White '60 yesterday withdrew as a presidential candidate in the Young Republican Club election scheduled for March 3. "I find it impossible to continue in a race which annually results in personal slander and character assassination," he charged.

Criticism has been leveled against White for his alleged appearance at the polls with supporters of a Democratic candidate, and for his role in a coup which briefly took over the Committee to Study Disarmament.

The remaining presidential candidate, Christopher T. Bayley '60, declared himself "happy that Dennis has decided to leave the race." He asserted that "by achieving unity, the HYRC will now have a unique opportunity to become an active, effective, and respected political force at the University."

New Executive Candidates

Last night, however, three freshmen announced their candidacies for the HYRC Executive Board, in opposition to some members of the Bayley slate. Roger Annenberg '62, Charles W. Long '62, and Philip C. Olsson '62 pledged support for Bayley, but attacked "the remnants of the Peterson machine."

Long seeks election as treasurer, the other two as members-at-large. In addition to supporting Bayley, the trio urged a tightening of rules, so that no person could be a member of both the Young Republicans and the Young Democrats at the same time.