Varsity Track Defeats Dartmouth Squad, 75-34

Unexpected victories by Pat Liles, Sandy Dodge, and Tom Blodgett led the Crimson track team to a smashing 75-34 triumph over Dartmouth yesterday at Hanover. The varsity took nine first places in an impressive show of depth and strength.

In the 600, Liles, who began the season as a broad jump specialist, outdistanced Dartmouth's highly-touted Pete Daley and his own teammates as the Crimson swept the race. Liles also finished a close second in the broad jump.

Big Green sprinter Tony Zielman lost his unbeaten record to Dodge in the 50-yard dash, while Blodgett cleared 12 feet in the pole vault to defeat Dartmouth's Greg Millett.

Crimson shot putters Henry Abbot, Steve Cohen, and Jim Doty produced a sweep in their event, but Wes Matson of Dartmouth took first over the varsity's Doty and Dune Johnson in the weight throw. Kelvin Kean won the high jump easily, clearing 6 ft., 2 in. but narrowly missing three tries for a new University record of 6 ft., 4 in.

In a fast and exciting mile race, Jed Fitzgerald finished first by two steps, leading Big Green captain Mike Kistler to the wire in a splendid 4:22.3. Old reliables Joel Landau and Art Cahn were easy victors in the high hurdles and 1000.

Tom Laris' triumphs in the mile and two-mile paced the Dartmouth freshmen to a 66-43 upset over the Yardling squad. Weight thrower Ed Bailey turned in the outstanding freshman performance with a winning 53-foot heave.

Tonight the Crimson will send a small contingent to the B.A.A. Games at the Boston Garden. In particular, the mile relay team will get another crack at the sensational Yale quartet.